This summer is rolling by and we keep on enjoying festivities and tackling the new hurdles of parenting. Here are 10 Things we'd like to share with you:
1. We celebrated Jack turning 4 months, Pete turning 30, Julia turning 24 all in the month of August! In spirit, we also celebrated both Granddaddio Devereux's and (Great) Nana's birthdays that are also in this month.
2. Maternity leave is also over - starting off with just 16 hours a week - it's both good and exhausting being back at work. The mind switch is hard, but once I'm at the office it's good feeling a little bit like my old self.
3. Sleep training - they say it's controversial, but it worked for us in 3 nights Jack went from getting up every hour to now sleeping 5-6 hour chunks, which let us tell you, is life saving for our own sanity. Very grateful his Pediatrician said, just do it.
4. We're geared up for our first flight with a baby! Headed to Michigan for another celebration - Ilse and Jon's nuptials! More on that celebration soon!!!
5. We're also gearing up for introducing Jack to foods in a couple of months so Pete bought a baby cook book called "Little Foodie". Not gonna lie, we're excited to try out the recipes ourselves. Recipes start for babies for 4+ months all the way until 24 months. Purees we're excited to start him off include: Sweet Potato + Coconut Milk+ Coriander, Roasted Blueberry + Himalayan Salt, Broccoli + Leek + . Chives, Spring Green Risotto with Lemon + Chives, Apples+Mint+Ricotta, and Peach+Strawberry+Vanilla Bean!
6. Speaking of food, Pete got the recipe book "Pizza Camp" as a birthday gift along with many tools to start making pizza at home. He's already started on his first dough which is currently proofing so that tomorrow he can make his very first pizza based off of one of the recipes in the book.
7. Jolene has suddenlty shown more of an interest in the pool at the park! Twice now she's gone in without any coaxing - she carefully steps in, so as not to make a splash, circles around a few times and then lays down, splooting, making sure to take over the entire kiddie pool.
8. Took a break from LaColombe and seriously regretting it - tempted to try their Cold Brew Shandy Lemonade. Coffee and lemonade??? Sounds crazy. But we're feeling crazy these days...
9. We've talked about decluttering, cleaning out closets/drawers, and in general minimizing the collection of stuff in the past...so how is it that it re-accumulates? Gonna go through this exersize again over Labor Day weekend.
10. Speaking of Labor Day weekend, we're taking Jack to his first ever Nationals Baseball game! Sure he won't remember it, but we will!!! And that's all that matters at the moment, hahaha! It's always about the photo opp. Keep a look out on our instagram stories for said photo!
Turns out "adulting" has taken on a new meaning when you throw in a tiny human into the mix.
For this reason, we've been MIA from the interwebs. Mostly, we've been trying to survive on very little sleep, figuring out what the heck each cry means, trying to remember when we showered last, doctor appointments, and taking our babes outside to enjoy these summer days. However, there are a few things we'd like to share with you of events or items we've been really into lately. Continue reading below but first, an updated photo of our tiny human who is past the 2 month mark!
As always, time is flying by, and we manage to get a few things done here and there. See some more images of our adventures below!
1. We've been really into board games, specifically strategy board games. In less than a month our collection of games (which wasn't much) more than doubled and have a few to suggest for all you board gamers out there: Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Royals, and Viticulture. We also added classic board games like Clue, Scrabble and Monopoly for friends who prefer to play those.
2. Finally...we picked up the stroller with bassinet, cup holders, car seat and the separate bassinet stand! It's getting real you guys...this is happening. Jolene liked unpacking the items, but is not too sure about the big wheely thing in the living room now. The car seat she's fine with...not a big deal. Her own car seat fits along well with her baby brother's.
3. Speaking of baby, we're 28 weeks in. That means 12 more weeks of to go! And apparently, everyone in our home has pregnancy cravings.
4. Last Sunday, Jolene was going stir-crazy. It'd been a while since we'd done the usual Family Adventure Day - so we all went over to Theo Roosevelt Island for a stroll through the trail. This island is situated on the Potomac between Georgetown and Rosslyn. There is lovely memorial to Theodore Roosevelt at the center and several trails throughout. We saw plenty of joggers, trekkers and families doing the same. On the to do list: More trailing in the city - next up Rock Creek Park!
5. Super Secret Pizza Night - Well not so secret. It's just more fun to call it that since it was kind of last minute. Last Saturday we hopped on over to Pete's brother's house to eat pizza and play board games. It turned into a pizza party where about 5 different kinds of gourmet pizzas were made by the guys - Pete, Zac and Benton - while the girls snacked on chips, homemade salsa and guacamole! Pizza recipes were borrowed from Joe Beddia's cookbook - Pizza Camp. Highly recommend! Also, highly recommended is Daiya Cheese - a tasty vegan alternative!
Heading into the Thanksgiving holiday week, being like where'd the time go? We've been pretty busy getting ready for the baby and the holidays. Fall really is one of the most productive times for us! We're starting this "10 Things" list as a series to quickly fill you in on things we've been thinking of lately and would like to share. So here we go:
1. A few weeks ago we consolidated our clothes into one dresser, sold the extra one and registered for one that will work as a changing table. We went with Pottery Barn Kids Emerson dresser. Thankfully, our parents already bought it for us and it's on the way! Hooray! Consolidating our clothes into one furniture piece was also really helpful in making us get rid of excess, once again.
2. We checked out strollers and car seats. One of the places we recommend for locals in the DMV area is Baby Blossom. Unlike the big box retailers, the staff is ready to help and very knowledgable about what works best for the uses customers need. For city dwellers like us, where space is limited and city walking is what we do most, they suggested the Nuna Mixx with the Nuna Pipa car seat or the Bugaboo Cameleon 3. Both come with overnight rated bassinets if you for travel purposes.
3. We designed our Holiday card, with and emphasis on "H". Pretty excited to showcase it so keep an eye out for it.
4. We sent out a Thanksgiving card/baby announcement to friends we didn't get to share the news with in person.
Hi there! Our names are Marjorie & Peter. Welcome to our little corner of the web, Details & Highlights - formerly our wedding website! We revamped and kept it going for the fun of it.
PLACES WE SHOP!